I did it today with the help of my 2 and 4 year old grandsons. It was pretty fun, inspite of the “help”. Garrett, 2, is pretty excited about being a big boy. He just recently shed the “Baby Garrett” title and got his first buzz, so is ready to get on with his new, soon to be role, of big brother. I had him help me to see how a typical 2-year old could contribute to the project and to give him a sense of stewardship in the home production process. As you can see, we did it inside which presented it’s own challenges! Gabriel, 4, was actually a lot of help, even though he is an extremely active little boy with a pretty short, OK, two second attention span. We are all trying to help him find things that will hold his interest to help expand the two seconds to a few more at least. He did great today. The boys are pretty excited to take the easy reach gardens home for their 8-month pg mom to enjoy.
1. We found the buckets and drilled holes in the bottom. One inch was too small, inch and half worked a lot better for threading the root balls through. I used cardboard with a cross slit to hold the soil in, it held up a little better than paper.
2. We carefully removed the tomato plants from the peat pots. Scroogina here made sure that I found pots with two hardy plants in each one. I separated them while keeping the roots as intact as possible so that I could make another set of pots for myself.
3. I removed all but the very top leaves and held the plants so that most of the stem was inside the bucket, in soil, to allow the little hairs on the stem to become roots.

4. We filled the bucket with soil while holding the stem upright inside the bucket and then finished filling to a couple of inches from the top .
5. We planted petunias in the top of the bucket. They have similar sun, temperature, and watering needs as the tomatoes. This will add color to the patio and maybe a little nice floral scent to enjoy. There is still room for basil in one and oregano in the other to use with the tomatoes later. The herbs grow upright and the flowers will cascade down the sides. Should make a fun and pleasant addition to their summer
No comments:
Post a Comment