Monday, February 23, 2009

Upside Down Gardens - Revisited

I lost both tomato plants. Now for the fixes. I foolishly ignored certain laws of nature when I put the buckets together. Tomato plants don't like bogs. That was just what I created. I used organic compost, good, but then didn't add any sand, bad. The soil was too heavy and didn't drain well. I will be taking the petunias out of the buckets and remixing the soil. I am also going to drill numerous smaller drain holes in the buckets to help the drainage.


I never got the cold frame put together, due to extra visits from the grandsons while mommy finished cooking a new bun in the oven. He arrived this morning (like the way I slipped that one in?) so I should have a normal life again soon, (ah come on, let me dream!) and will get back on schedule. Anyway, my seeds have taken forever to sprouts, but finally are. I put them out in the sun every day and bring them in and under a light at night to keep them warmer. They aren't lying when they say to wait until the soil temperature is important!





















No comments: