FEEDBACK IS WELCOME AND NEEDED!
• Was this helpful?
• Do you have information that would be a help for others?
• Is there information that you are looking for?
PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Upside Down Gardening
There are lots of website on the internet. These are just a few that I found interesting. Just think of how nice it would be top move the pots somewhere in case of a freak freeze or into shade when it is so hot here in AZ? Patios and balconies could become a regular cornicopia!
Can I store my mylar sealed in five gal bucket dry goods in a shed that freezes in winter and is over 90 somedays in summer?
Temperature is very critical when storing food. A very expensive lesson if learned the hard way! I try to not think about all the food that I lost when we moved to hot country and didn't have the storage built into our home yet.
Ideally, you want your food storage temperature to fluctuate as little as possible. Try to keep it under 70 degrees if possible. If the foods have any fat in them, they will go rancid very quickly. I only have swamp cooling in my home (in Southern AZ) and have had shortening, pastas and other fat containg foods go rancid in closets. Not as quickly, as they do in a hot place like your storage, but still didn't last the 30 years that is suggested by some sources. The buckets will also become brittle in a few years, even if there with no light exposure.
It might be time to inventory what you have and consider its age . Think about rotating your food and replace it as you open it up to use in your daily cooking.
Whole grains will withstand these teperature differences more than most foods, except brown rice. I have dried veggies that have gone dark and developed an off taste that usually makes it enedible. The potato slices and dices can be soaked and rinsed several times and still used, but that was about all I could salvage. Of course the nutritional value has dropped, so I try to use them mixed with newer and fresher foods to make sure that we still have a healthy diet.
Let me know if your question was completely answered!
No comments:
Post a Comment