Sunday, February 15, 2009

Time to Think About Water Storage

If you live in the southwest and even if you don't, water is essential to our preparedness. I have been able to purchase 50 gallon barrells at the local soft drink plant for $10.80 (includes sales tax) each. I do have to make sure they know that I need both plugs in them or will end up short on those. Most plants like this do sell their used barrells.




The new ones run from $25 to $60 or $70. Shop around. The best price new ones in our area are found at a feed and seed store! Remember to always try to think out of the box!



They will have sticky stuff and a smell from the syrup that was transported in them.
  1. I just run water through a hose attached directly from the hot water tank to soak it all out. Rinse until the water is good and clear.

  2. Fill with cool water with 1-2 cups clorox added and soak for a couple of days and drain.

  3. Fill with water and plug tight.

This is a good way to store quite a bit of water for cleaning, sponge bathing, flushing toilets, etc.

Though the barrells have a disclaimer on them, but I would be pretty comfortable with emergency consumption if I treated the water just before we drank it or if we boiled it. They are made out of high density food grade material.

No comments: